Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Tin Scrooge Might Even Like

I am sorry it has been so long since my last post. Between Thanksgiving with the family, a cruise with my hubby and the preperation for both, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and write. But never fear, I have been getting projects done and taking pictures so I should have lots to write about for a while.
But first, a picture from our trip. We had two cameras and I've only downloaded one so I might share more later when I've got the other ones available.
This was at dinner on the fancy shamcy night. It was a good trip with lots of "us" time. People thought we were on our honeymoon which I just loved. Okay, thanks for your patience, we will now move onto a project.
It is a simple silly little one but I am really happy with how it came out.
I started with a tin my mom gave me. It was a house that had "The Night Before Christmas" mice running around on it. That explains the shape if you were wondering.
I wanted to make sure the paint would stick to the shiny metal surface so I primed it with several coats of an oil based primer and then painted on several more coats of green acrylic paint.

I took these 3 pictures from The Muppet Christmas Carol (a classic for sure) and edited them in photoshop to get them just right and then printed them out. I used a razor blade on a cutting board to cut out the shapes I needed.


I then put a layer of mod podge on the back of the paper and laid it out on my tin being careful to get no bubbles. Once that had dried for at least 20 minutes, I covered the whole tin in mod podge. When that layer was dry, I used mod podge to glue a light white glitter to the snow parts of the picture. This also helped soften the cut edges. Then I super glued a piece of hemp twine to the lid to make it look more finished. For basically free, I think it turned out quite cute. My secret santa recipient at work said she likes Muppet, especially Kermit, so I hope she will really like it. Here are the other sides:

Opps! I guess I wasn't quite finished when I took this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment