Friday, May 27, 2011

Pin-up #2

I just wanted to share a few pins with you that are on the top of my to do list.
This shower curtain is made with 5 dollar store shower curtains liners. Right now both of our bathrooms have just a single liner because I have a thing about shower curtains and the light they block. But they are definitely lacking style so this ruffled adaptation would be a perfect, prettier look. And cheap!

I’ve been saving wine corks for a while now with nothing in particular in mind. I also acquired a large piece of foam board that was used to pad a recent Craigslist transaction. That means I could make this for free! Yippee! Except I think I don't have nearly that many corks :(…but it is free :)





















My biggest post-wedding project has been helping my mother-in-law with her bedroom (which is slightly complicated by the fact she lives 4 hours away in Houston.) This is the quilt she bought for her new king sized bed.
image
She has new nightstands that we got her off Craigslist for $50 for the pair but I don’t have a picture. We also got her a vanity, mirror, and chest of drawers for $115. They are art deco waterfall style with their original hardware and I love, love, love them. As rude as it might be to say, DIBS!imageimage (2)
They need a little work. I have researched how to shellac and should be able to return them to really good condition. I cleaned the dresser with mineral spirits and was surprised how much better it looked even after just that. Oh, and apparently once you shellac you don’t go back (teehee) Has anyone used shellac before? Any tips? One more picture to drool over. See that gouge on the 3rd drawer? I am fairly confident you wont even see it when I get done.
image (1)  
These aren’t pins so why am I showing you them? Because I have a board devoted to her room and because really this project is the top of my list. I hope to make my lovely MIL a large upholstered headboard for her bed. Something along these lines:

I really like the shape of this one. Simple but not quite a plain rectangle. I trying to decide between button tufts (which I think would be too busy with the quilt) or nail head trim (which I think would be too flashy and western with the quilt) or nothing (which I think will be too boring). Any other ideas? I am planning on using drop cloths for it and probably some curtains too. I like the trim and folded over edge of these.

She wanted the wall behind the bed painted a warm color but again with the quilt, I am scared to make things too busy and orange-y. May be pull out one of the blues or greens of her quilt? It’s not exactly warm tones but her quilt and all of the furniture pieces are.
One more pin for you, I think this antique specimen art would be a nice touch. I think the Graphics Fairy has several and I’d like to frame a few and hang them on either side of the vanity mirror.

Alright, that is my plan. Now I just need a little bit of actually making it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment